20/05/2004

Glendronach

Another first tonight: I've tasted the 15 year old Glendronach (79 Jackson points) which I've been presented with by a good friend of mine on my birthday (thanks, Thomas!). And what a pleasant dram it is! While it will not quite dethrone Glenfarclas from my top distillery preference due to its somewhat smoky and peaty edge, it's certainly not far from it. I understand perfectly well however that that's exactly what you may be looking for in a whisky, but it is not exactly my cup of tea entirely, so to speak.

I am still going for the harmoniously rounded complexity of the 25 year old Glenfarclas (89 points) which to my experience has only been beaten by bottling 1.100 of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, containing an indescribably mellow, yet sparkling 36 years old Glenfarclas, distilled in 1966 and bottled in 2002. A miracle turned liquid! Unfortunately there are only four fingers left in the bottle...

No comments: