06/06/2010

Closing that chapter

As flagged to my facebook friends a few weeks ago, I've just deleted my account, removed the profile badge from this blog, deleted the fb app on iPhone as well as the bookmarks in the browser, so this is my good-bye from facebook.

The reason why I've decided to take that contrarian step is that I simply don't trust the firm, hence do not want to support them and add to their valuation by being a member. That lack of trust has been on the way up ever since I joined. The firm is apparently incompetent in security matters (serial incidents over the recent past) and always tries to push as far ahead as it can in terms of capitalising on their users' content and personal details, only to take a reluctant step back when they absolutely have to. What's more, their recently announced technology strategy give us a hint of how they want to position their firm as an even more important hub of the internets than it already is by putting in centralising features hosted on their own servers. Also, they seem to have started to act politically by compromising free speech in cooperation with governments. Et ceteris praeteritis propositis ... 

So, that's me gone then. Will I come back? Probably not. I might reconsider if their privacy declaration shrunk from being bigger than the US Constitution to - say - five points, one of them saying that user data and content always belongs to users. Secondly, they have to commit to always having a complete & comprehensive export feature with which users can pull their info from the greedy clutches of the provider (Google does that, and it's a great exercise in self-discipline, I think). Meanwhile, you can always connect with me here or on Google Buzz or LinkedIn or elsewhere. Looking forward to hearing from you!

3 comments:

Joel said...

Are you sure you've deleted your account? And not just made it dormant...?

I share your scepticism about their intentions but have decided to stay a little longer as, annoyingly, it's become an important way of staying in touch with a couple of groups of friends. Not their lives, as such, but social events etc.

However I doubt the whole privacy saga is going to have a happy ending.

Chris said...

I'm pretty confident that I have, even though it takes a fortnight of non-usage to become effective, apparently. They are pretty smart in capitalising on their clientèle's cold turkey, I'd say, but I'm coping well so far ...

I know what you mean, though. It's definitely practical to have a shared platform like that, and I hope that Buzz might become that rather sooner than later. You're not there, yet, are you?

Anonymous said...

Gefällt mir!